- About Stanford
- Campus Life
- Administration & Finances
Stanford has won the Directors’ Cup, awarded annually to the most successful overall intercollegiate athletic department in the nation, for 23 consecutive years. For 42 years in a row, Stanford has won at least one NCAA championship — the longest streak in the nation.
The 2016-17 campaign was especially memorable, with Stanford claiming four NCAA titles for the first time since 2001-02 and five national championships overall: men’s soccer, women’s volleyball, women’s swimming and diving, women’s water polo and women’s lightweight rowing.
The Department of Athletics offers 36 varsity sports—20 for women, 16 for men (sailing is a co-ed sport). Also offered are 31 club sports. Stanford offers over 350 athletic scholarships and approximately 900 students participate in intercollegiate sports.
Varsity Sports at Stanford
|Women’s Varsity Sports||Men’s Varsity Sports|
|Cross Country||Cross Country|
|Sailing||Swimming and Diving|
|Softball||Track and Field|
|Swimming and Diving||Water Polo|
|Track and Field|
Home of Champions
- Total National Championships: 139
- Total NCAA Championships: 115
- Total Individual NCAA Championships: 558
- NCAA Team Championships Since 2000: 51
- Consecutive years with national team championship(s): 42
- Olympic medals won by Stanford-affiliated athletes: 270
- NCAA Postgraduate Scholars: 161
- Stanford scholar-athletes who have been Rhodes Scholars: 12
Cardinal has been the color of Stanford athletic teams since 1891. Today, Stanford teams are called the Cardinal.